Sunday, September 19, 2010

Forgotten God--Forgotten Values

I'd been waiting for weeks. Refusing to head to the local video merchant, I had my name on the Library waiting list. I wanted to see the miniseries...John Adams! The DVD set finally arrived and my wife and I sat down and watched the first two episodes. I've seen the series before, but yet I was again stunned at the system of values that poured forth from our founders as they faced the both liberty and death for their beliefs.
Though the HBO produced miniseries did everything possible to edit out Adams' strong belief in God, completely deleting his many prayers for Divine Providence, the truth of who those people were stood out loud and clear. You cannot edit the truth...or character...or values, and stay true to history.
I am now forced to compare the moral/spiritual fiber of our founding fathers with those of our current culture...and of course, the current occupant of the White House.
Is there any wonder that we are sprinting down a path toward irrelevance and possible destruction? Political correctness has replaced moral truth. Expedience has replaced steadfastness of faith. The idea of God in today's culture is some ethereal inner force that somehow has nothing of substance, with the exception of justifying our moral ineptitude and giving us guiltless feelings of personal satisfaction. Even if there is a moral fiber, it is the wrong morals...anti-Biblical...anti-sovereign God, and certainly anti Christ.
Listen to the words that describe our great leader's moral underpinnings.
From the American Thinker... article by Selwyn Duke

Obama says he's "a big believer in tolerance" and thus looks askance at "certainty" and believes in the necessity of "doubt" (an attitude mysteriously absent when pushing health care), bringing to mind G.K. Chesterton's observation: "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." Yet Obama also told Falsani that he had "deep faith." This might cause some to wonder, "In what?" And this brings us to the part of the interview in which he was asked "What is sin?" Here was his answer:
"Being out of alignment with my values."
Perhaps this question was also above Obama's pay grade, or maybe he
studied divinity with Al Gore. Whatever the case, this is not the definition of sin. Rather, sin is when you violate God's laws, or, to put it in more modernistic terms, it's being out of alignment with God's values (which are the Truth). So it was an interesting answer. Some might conclude that if you define sin as being out of alignment with your values, you believe you are God.
An even stranger answer came earlier in the interview. In response to Falsani's query about whether he prayed often, Obama said, "Uh, yeah, I guess I do. It's not formal, me getting on my knees. I think I have an ongoing conversation with God. I think throughout the day, I'm constantly asking myself questions about what I'm doing, why am I doing it [emphasis mine]."
Did everyone catch that? If I pray to God, I may ask Him questions. I won't say that I have "an ongoing conversation with God" and then reflexively follow up with "I'm constantly asking myself questions."
Now, do I say that Obama thinks he is a supreme being who created the Universe? Unless it's a universe of programs, laws, regulations, and debt, no. But I am certain (if it's still legal to be so) that Obama is a typical leftist: self-centered and solipsistic. He has deified himself, in the sense that he believes he is above everyone else. This is why he, showing no doubt whatsoever, feels so sure about reshaping our world in his own image.
His comments also vindicate my assessment of him as a moral relativist. Whenever you hear "my values," know that it's the language of relativism. It's the belief that, hey, you have your values, I have mine -- you say "potato" and I say "potahto" -- and it's all just a matter of perspective. This is contrary to any absolutist faith, such as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. They teach that God has determined right and wrong and that it is something eternal and unchanging, encapsulated in a word leftists avoid: Truth.

As I read words like these, having witnessed the effects of such self-glorifying beliefs, I am saddened that this once great land has been subjected to destruction of moral fiber from the top down. Nothing short of a spiritual revival will turn us around. Politics will not do it. Glen Beck will not do it. Jesus Christ, as revealed in the inerrant, inspired Word of God...now there's the answer.

Jimmy Root Jr
Author: DISTANT THUNDER and the AWARD WINNING MAGOG RISING
Books One and Two of the Lightning Chronicles

$15 per Copy...SIGNED!
Buy several for the same shipping rate as ONE! Give them as gifts.
OR
Send a check to Jimmy Root Jr PO Box 112, Smithville, MO 64089
(add $5.00 for shipping)

MAGOG RISING
is the READERS FAVORITE 2010 National Writing Competition SILVER MEDALIST in the Christian Fiction Genre
ORDER NOW
Visit: http://www.lightningchronicles.com/





Toll Free at 1866 909-2665
Or use the above address to send a check for $16.00 (includes shipping) and ask for Magog Rising...or get both books....SIGNED!
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear your comments. What you think matters.